Friday, March 7, 2008

redbone alley (mini restaurant review!)

I was at a flyball tournament in Florence, SC, this weekend, and my team decided to have our Saturday dinner at this restaurant, Redbone Alley. It seemed to be THE place to eat, according to the locals, and it had the added advantage of being named after a dog (the owners' daughters' redbone coonhound). It was indeed a very cool space, built inside an abandoned JCPenney store in a once-struggling shopping mall and modeled to resemble a Charleston streetscape.

The big problem with the place was that there was not one single vegetarian entree on the menu. Worse, there was not even a single vegetarian salad on the menu! (The house tossed had bacon and the caesar, if made correctly, would have anchovies, at least in the dressing). There was one vegetarian appetizer (onion rings) and a couple of vegetarian sides (that were not sold a la carte). Since I was in a party of 13, very hungry and quite exhausted, I didn't feel like finding out what special accomodation they could make for me (we were already running the poor sweet waitron ragged), so I just parted with principles and ordered fish. Salmon. It was OK but way too salty (so salty I could only eat half of it before I felt I'd had too much). The vegetables that came with it were a bit flavorless and uninspired. But, the homemade potato chips I got on the side were fabulous. I also had two beers (Yeungling), which greatly enhanced the dining experience.

South Carolina isn't exactly a vegetarian haven, so what could I expect? But the guy that runs this restaurant and its sister in Columbia, SC, (Dale Barth:
dbarth@redbonefoods.com) plans to expand into a national chain. So I'm thinking I may send him a very nice e-mail explaining that offering a vegetarian entree, salad and sandwich would make people like me more interested in returning to his restaurant and saying nice things about it afterwards. (Oh yeah, and going a little easier on the salt wouldn't hurt either!)
Uploaded by bunchofpants on 16 May 05, 10.27AM CST.

No comments: